Tāne: Paua, Pearl & Sapphire Pendant in Yellow Gold
The Tāne pendant was inspired by the Māori Legend of Tāne. As the god of forests and birds, Tāne decided to separate his parents, Papatuanuku, the Earth mother, and Ranginui, the Sky father, who were in a tight embrace causing nothing but darkness. The pendant and its elongated design represent Tāne and his siblings’ journey of separating their parents to reveal the light, thus creating Earth.
The Tāne pendant features a pair of beautifully rough-cut tumble polished sapphires, however, the stars of the show are the hand-sculpted piece of Paua and the natural rough pearl. Rough cut sapphires show the journey of Tāne and his siblings, and their disagreement with their sibling, Tawhiri Matea, on separating their parents.
The pink sapphire represents Tawhiri Matea, and how he left for the sky to be with his father after the separation. The purple sapphire represents Tāne’s brothers, who stayed on earth, between both of their parents. The 18ct yellow gold arrow that stretches between the paua and presses into the pearl represents Tāne amid the act of pushing his parents apart to allow for light to stream in. The pendant is hand crafted in 18ct yellow gold, with a woven flax leaf feature behind the paua to further tie the pendant to aspects of Māori legend and culture.
This particular piece is currently in stock and can be ready to ship within 1-3 days. If you would like this style custom crafted to your specifications you can get in touch with any special requests. Please see below for additional help and order information.
Product Code: 20239084
- All jewellery purchased from The Village Goldsmith comes with a 10 year guarantee on the craftsmanship.
- We recommend getting your jewellery checked yearly by either VG Jewelers (The Village Goldmsith) or by a jeweller that has been authorised by VG Jewelers.
Shipping, Taxes & Returns
- All orders are carefully and safely packed using recycled and/or compostable packaging and materials where possible.
- Our shipping options are fully insured until your piece is safely at your door.
- Our packages are very discreet so there's no need to worry about the delivery giving away the big surprise.
- International orders will automatically have the importing duties and taxes calculated at checkout and added to your total order price to allow for seamless transitions through customs.
- We offer hassle-free returns on online purchases for all ready to ship pieces within 30 days of purchase. The item must be in its original condition and packaging, please get in touch with us to arrange any returns. Please note special conditions apply to Bespoke Custom made pieces. Please contact us if you would like information on our Bespoke Custom jewellery return policy.
To find out more, read our Shipping and Returns page here. To view our full warranty, click here.
Diamonds and Gemstones
- We are committed to providing diamonds of the highest quality which are certified ethically sourced. We are proud to say that we deal directly with reputable global diamond suppliers who actually cut and polish their diamonds from rough.
- Every diamond is chosen for maximum sparkle. We like to supply diamonds with Gemological Institute of America (GIA) or American Gem Society Laboratories (AGSL) certifications and all diamonds we source for you are of high quality, have top make and have The Village Goldsmith certification.
- We have a wide range of diamonds and coloured gemstones in our inventory which we source directly from the same trusted suppliers. So even if you are on a tight deadline, we may already have the perfect diamond or gemstone for you, ready to create your dream ring with.
- The precious metal refiners we source our materials from have gone to great lengths to secure the origin of their precious metal sources, along with their refining processes. All of these suppliers are either a member of the Responsible Jewellery Council (RJC) themselves, or ensure all metal sourced is from an accredited organisation that is either a member of RJC or the London Bullion Market Association (LBMA).
- In our workshop, after every piece we craft, we collect all the precious metal dust and filings from the jeweller's benches to be refined back to a pure state and used again. This is just one of the ways we involve recycling in our processes to make them more sustainable.
Learn more about the Precious Metals we use here